7.14.2015

More opening credit sequences

Last week I shot more elements for the opening title sequences of another show. Once again, I can't name the show, but it's a big one. It's not due to air until 2016 according to my internet searches, so it'll be a little while before I can say which one it is.

This time there was a lot of macro work with the camera on a Dana Dolly which was tough to do, as the macro nature amplifies any bumps. At one point, the director said out loud (more to himself than anyone else) that he wished we had a crane so we could jib up and down instead of being limited to only side to side. So we rigged up a solution where I mounted the tripod plate to the side cheeseplate of my camera (rotating it sideways) and then turned our object sideways as well. This way, instead of dollying side to side on the piece, it turned into a dolly from top to bottom, effectively giving us a jib movement relative to the frame. My setup is pictured below.

It was a long day of work, but we managed to get everything shot. Part of the fun was figuring out how to shoot FX sequences practically instead of relying on compositing later. I think we came up with some very interesting solutions (including rear projection, glass, and printing graphics on paper). I'm curious to see how it all comes together.

Sideways camera on the Dana Dolly.

No comments: